Dr. Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf is Professor of Environmental Geochemistry at School of Environmental Studies, China University of Geosciences, Wuhan. Previously he worked as Senior Lecturer at Department of Geology, University of Malaya, Malaysia (2013-2015). He got his doctoral degree (PhD) from Department of Chemistry, University of Malaya, Malaysia (2012) and postdoctoral from Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan (2013). He received M.Phil. degree in Analytical chemistry from The Islamia University of Bahawalpur, Pakistan (2009) and M.Sc. degree in Chemistry from Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan, Pakistan (2005). His Ph.D. thesis work involved speciation, bioavailability and remediation of metallic elements in the ex-mining catchment, under supervision of Professor Dato Dr. Mod. Jamil Maah, a prominent scientist in Malaysia. Dr Ashraf’s current research focuses on chemical speciation and bioavailability of metallic and radioactive elements in the ecosystem. He is an author of over 150 research publications, in subjects related to environment, chemistry, ecology, geology and life sciences.
School of Environmental Studies, China University of Geosciences, Wuhan, P. R. China
Tel: + 86-27-67883400 (O) Mobil: + 86-13035145582
Fax: + 86-27-87436235
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
1. Chemical Speciation & Bioavailability
2. Chemical Risk Assessment
3. Waste Water Treatment
1. JSPS (Japan Society for Promotion of Science) Post-Doctoral Fellowship for Foreign Researchers in 2012 Ph. D. Scholarship: Malaysian Technical Cooperation Program (MTCP), Fellowship sponsored by Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE), Malaysia in 2009.
2. TWAS-Biovision. Nxt Award, to attend World Life Sciences Forum, Lyon France in 2011.
3. Darmasiswa Scholarship award 2011 by Ministry of Education, Indonesia.
4. Taiwan Summer Internship Program by Academia Sinica in 2010.
1. Director, International Water, Air & Soil Conservation Society (INWASCON), Malaysia
2. Coordinator, National Academy of Young Scientists (NAYS), Malaysia Chapter
3. Member of Geological Society Malaysia
4. Member of Asian Council of Science Editors
5. Affiliated Member of International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC)
6. Member of the Chemical Society of Pakistan (CSP)
7. Member of American Chemical Society (ACS)
8. Member of the UM Alumni
9. Member of Tokyo Tech Alumni
10. Member of Asian Water Environments
1. Arsenic Speciation In Aqueous Environment: A Study Case Of Lake Chini
2. Chemical Speciation, Bioavailability And Remediation Of Cesium (cs)the Aquatic Environments
3. Chemical Speciation, Bioavailability and Remediation of Cesium137 in the Aquatic Ecosystem
4. Chemical Speciation, Bioavailability and Remediation of Heavy Metals in the Former Tin Mining Catchment
5. Development and Applications of Biological Contactor System for the treatment of Mining Waste water
6. Synthesis, Characterization and Application of Silica Based Hybrid System in Batch and Column Experiments
7. Chemical Speciation, Bioavailability and Remediation of Cesium137 in the Aquatic Ecosystem
8. Environmental Fate and Transport of Engineered Nanomaterials in the Aquatic Ecosystem and Possible Ways for its Remediation
9. Synthesis of Zeolites Using Waste Materials and Its Application for Waste Water Treatment
10. Development and Applications of Biological Contactor System for the treatment of Mining Waste water
1. Environmental Geochemistry and Health
2. Environmental Soil Science
3. Environmental Toxicology
4. Water Quality Analysis
5. Environmental Geology
6. Desalination and Water Treatment
1. Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf, Mohamedreza Gharibreza (2014) Applied Limnology, Comprehensive View from Watershed to Lake. ISBN 978-4-431-54979-6 (Print) 978-4-431-54980-2 (Online), Springer, Japan. DOI 10.1007/978-4-431-54980-2
2. Majid Hosseini, Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf (2015) Application of the SWAT Model for Water Components Separation in Iran (ISBN 978- 4-431-55563-6), (Online) Springer, Japan
3. Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf, Maliha Sarfraz, Rizwana Naureen (2014) Environmetal Impacts of Metallic Elements: Speciation, Bioavailability and Remediation (ISBN 978-981-287-293-7), (Online) Springer, Singapore.
4. Ashraf, M. A., Maah, M. J., and Yusoff, I. (2014). Environmental Risk Assessment of Soil Contamination. In Maria C. Hernandez-Soriano (Eds.), Soil Contamination, Risk Assessment and Remediation (pp. 1-54). In-Tech Open Access Publisher, Rijeka, Croatia
5. Ashraf, M. A., Maah, M. J., and Yusoff, I. (2011). Biomass and Remote Sensing of Biomass. In I. Atazadeeh (Eds.), Introduction to Remote Sensing of Biomass (pp. 129-170). In-Tech Open Access Publisher, Rijeka, Croatia.
6. Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf, Samavia Batool, Mushtaq Ahmad, Maliha Sarfraz and Wan Syaidatul Aqma Wan Mohd Noor (2016) Biopolymers as Biofilters and Biobarriers (ISBN: 9780081002148). In Pacheco-Torgal, Ivanov, Karak & Jonkers (Eds.), Biopolymers and Biotech Admixtures for Eco-Efficient Construction Materials (pp. 401-424). Elsevier, Woodhead Publishing, India.
1. Zaira Zaman Chowdhury, Md. Ziaul Karim, Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf, Khalisanni Khalid (2016) Influence of Carbonization Temperature on Physicochemical Properties of Biochar derived from Slow Pyrolysis of Durian Wood (Durio zibethinus) Sawdust. BioResources 11 (2): 3356-3372.
2. Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf, Maliha Sarfraz (2015) Biology and evolution of life science (Editorial Paper). Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences doi:10.1016/j.sjbs.2015.11.012
3. Khaled S. Balkhair, Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf (2015). Field accumulation risks of heavy metals in a soil and vegetable crop irrigated with sewage water in western region of Saudi Arabia. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences DOI: doi:10.1016/j.sjbs.2015.09.023
4. Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf (2015) Persistent organic pollutants (POPs): a global issue, a global challenge (Editorial Paper) Environmental Science and Pollution Research DOI 10.1007/s11356-015-5225-9
5. Sajedeh Sadat Ghazizadeh Hashemi, Hilmi Bin Mahmud, Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf (2015). Performance of green roofs with respect to water quality and reduction of energy consumption in tropics: A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 52 (2015) 669–679.
6. Saima Nasreen, Uzaira Rafique, Sheryl Ehrman and Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf (2015). Hybrid mesoporous silicates: a distinct aspect to synthesis and application for decontamination of phenols Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences DOI: doi:10.1016/j.sjbs.2015.08.014
7. Mohammad A. Jasim, Mohd. Sofian Azirun, Ismail Yusoff, Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf (2015). Ultrastructural effects on gill tissues induced in red tilapia Oreochromis sp. by a waterborne lead exposure. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences. Online First doi:10.1016/j.sjbs.2015.08.004
8. Iqra Javed, Faryal Mateen, Uzaira Rafique, Noshabah Tabassum, Khaled S. Balkhair and Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf (2015) Synthesis of zeolite from marble powder waste: a greener approach and its application for the removal of inorganic metals from wastewater. Desalination and Water Treatment, 2015: 1-10. DOI: 10.1080/19443994.2015.1033763
9. Kousar Parveen, Uzaira Rafique, Sher Zaman Safi and Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf (2015). A novel method for synthesis of functionalized hybrids and their application for wastewater treatment. Desalination and Water Treatment, 2015: 1-10. DOI: 10.1080/19443994.2015.1006819
10. Samavia Batool, Azeem Khalid, Ahmad Jalal Khan Chowdury, Maliha Sarfraz, Khaled S Balkhair and Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf (2015) Impacts of azo dye on ammonium oxidation process and ammonia oxidizing soil bacteria. RSC Advances, 5: 34812-34820. DOI: 10.1039/C5RA03768A.
11. Muhammad Ali Surhio, Farah N. Talpur, Shafi M. Nizamani, Farah Amin, Chui Wei Bong, Choon Weng Lee, M. A. Ashraf and Muhammad Raza Shahd (2014). Complete degradation of dimethyl phthalate by biochemical cooperation of the Bacillus thuringiensis strain isolated from cotton field soil. RSC Advances 4: 55960-55966
12. Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf, Mushtaq Ahmad, Shatirah Aqib, Khaled S.Balkhair and Nor Kartini Abu Bakar (2014). Chemical Species of Metallic Elements in the Aquatic Environment of an Ex-mining Catchment, Water Environment Research, 86 (8): 77-728..
13. Mohamad Tarmizi Mohamad Zulkifley, Tham Fatt Ng, Wan Hasiah Abdullah, John Kuna Raj, Azman Abdul Ghani, Mustaffa Kamal Shuib, Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf (2014) Geochemical characteristics of a tropical lowland peat dome in the Kota Samarahan-Asajaya area, West Sarawak, Malaysia, Environmental Earth Sciences, 73 (4): 1443-1458. DOI 10.1007/s12665-014-3504-2
14. Mohammadreza Gharibreza, Alireza Habibi, , Sayed Reza Imamjomeh, Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf (2014) Coastal Processes and Sedimentary Facies in the Zohreh River Delta (Northern Persian Gulf), CATENA, 122(2014):150-158 DOI: 10.1016/j.catena.2014.06.010
15. Mohamad Tarmizi Mohamad Zulkifley, Ng Tham Fatt, John Kuna Raj, Roslan Hashim, Muammad Aqeel Ashraf (2014). The effects of lateral variation in vegetation and basin dome shape on a tropical lowland stabilization in the Kota Samarahan-Asajaya area, West Sarawak, Malaysia. Acta Geologica Sinica, 88 (3): 894-914.
16. Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf, Muhammad abdur Rehman, Mohd. Jamil Maah, Ismail Yusoff (2013) Cesium-137: Radio-chemistry, Fate and Transport, Remediation and Future Concerns. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 44 (15): 1740-1793. DOI: 10.1080/10643389.2013.790753
17. Nur Hayati Hussin, Ismail Yusoff, Yatimah Alias, Sharifah Mohamad, Nurul Yani Rahim, Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf (2013) Ionic liquid as a medium to remove iron and other metal ions: a case study of the North Kelantan Aquifer, Malaysia. Environmental Earth Sciences, 71 (5): 2105-2113 DOI: 007/s12665-013-2615-5
18. Mohammadreza Gharibreza, John Kuna Raj, Ismail Yusoff, Zainudin Othman, Wan Zakaria Wan Muhamad Tahir, Muhamd Aqeel Ashraf (2013). Land Use Changes and Soil Redistribution Estimation using 137Cs in the Tropical Bera Lake Catchment, Malaysia. Soil and Tillage Research, 131 (1):1-10.
19. Mohammadreza Gharibreza, John Kuna Raj, Ismail Yusoff, Zainudin Othman, Wan Zakaria, Wan Muhamad Tahir and Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf (2013), Sedimentation rates in Bera Lake (Peninsular Malaysia) using 210Pb and 137Cs radioisotopes, Geosciences Journal, 17 (2): 211-220. DOI 10.1007/s12303-013-0013-3
20. Mohammadreza Gharibreza, John Kuna Raj, Ismail Yusoff, Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf Zainudin Othman, Wan Zakaria and Wan Muhamad Tahir (2013), Effects of agricultural projects on nutrient levels in Lake Bera (Tasek Bera), Peninsular Malaysia. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 165 (2013): 19-27.
21. Mohammadreza Gharibreza, John Kuna Raj, Ismail Yusoff, Zainudin Othman, Wan Zakaria, Wan Muhamad Tahir and Muhammad Aqeel Ashraf (2013), Historical variations of Bera Lake (Malaysia) sediments geochemistry using radioisotopes and sediment quality indices, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 295(3): 1715-1730, DOI: 10.1007/s10967-012-2270-4
22. Ashraf, M. A., Yusoff, I., Yusof, I. and Alias, Y. (2013). Study of contaminant transport at an open tipping waste disposal site. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 20 (7): 4689-4710. DOI: 10.1007/s11356-012-1423-x.
23. Ashraf, M. A., Maah, M. J. and Yusoff, I. (2012). Study of Chemical Forms of Heavy Metals Collected From the Sediments of Tin Mining Catchment. Chemical Speciation and Bioavailability. 24(3): 183-196
24. Ashraf, M. A., Maah, M. J., and Yusoff, I. (2012). Chemical Speciation of Heavy Metals in Surface Waters of Former Tin Mining Catchment, Chemical Speciation and Bioavailability, 24 (1): 1-12.
25. Ashraf, M. A., Maah, M. J., and Yusoff, I. (2010). Study of Mango Biomass (Mangifera Indica L) as cationic bio-sorbent, International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 7(3): 581-590.
26. Ashraf, M. A., Maah, M. J., and Yusoff, I. (2011). Heavy metals accumulation in plants growing in ex tin mining catchment, International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 8(2): 401-416.